The development of alternative and renewable energy sources is necessary to reduce our nation’s dependence on imported oil and to reduce carbon emissions.
The Southeast is a leader in this sector as a result of large biomass feedstock resources (including forest and agricultural resources), existing facilities that manufacture key components of alternative and renewable energy equipment, available incentives for new facilities, and significant entrepreneurial investment.
Burr & Forman’s experienced interdisciplinary team includes attorneys from our corporate, economic development, tax, real estate, environmental, and regulatory practices. This group helps clients in the Southeast and across the United States achieve their goals in this rapidly growing industry.
Our Alternative & Renewable Energy team has been involved in projects throughout the United States related to solar, wind, biofuels and biomass, synthetic fuels, hydrogen fuel cells, natural gas technologies and nuclear energy. Our team’s experience includes:
- Project finance
- Permitting and environmental issues
- Structuring for utilization of federal and state energy tax credits
- Syndication of tax credits
- Achieving state and local incentives for new facilities
- Power supply agreements
- Real estate issues
- Mergers and acquisitions of renewable energy companies and assets
- Private equity investment