Complex Laws. Straightforward Results.
Our multidisciplinary practice team provides experienced tax representation to all types of entities, including corporations, limited liability companies, general and limited partnerships, trusts and estates, and various nonprofit organizations. Our tax attorneys also represent individuals on personal tax matters, such as investments in businesses, employment and benefits issues, wealth management and transfer issues, business succession planning, asset protection issues, estate and gift planning, cross-border investments and expatriations.
The extensive background of our tax attorneys contribute to their expertise and broad range of capabilities. The firm’s tax group is composed of a number of attorneys with specialized degrees in taxation, as well as former practicing Certified Public Accountants. Our attorneys have frequently taught law school classes on various tax and financial matters, including federal income tax and business planning. Additionally, members of our tax team write and speak extensively on a wide-range of issues related to taxation and economic development.
We provide services on a variety of international, federal, state and local tax issues, including the following matters:
- State and local tax planning
- Sales and use tax
- Tax controversy matters involving federal, state and local taxes
- Legislation and regulation
- Tax opinions
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Real estate transactions
- Corporate, partnership, and limited liability company organization and planning
- Securities offerings
- Liquidations and sales
- Tax exempt entity organization and planning
- Employee benefits, retirements plans, and related matters
- Trusts and estates
State and Local Tax (SALT)
Burr & Forman regularly assists clients with state and local tax planning and controversies against state, local and private tax collecting authorities. We advise clients on rapidly changing tax issues including planning, compliance, policy, and reducing the impact of pending tax assessments when necessary. Representative matters include the following types of state and local taxes:
- Corporate and individual income taxes
- Sales and use taxes
- Tax credits, exemptions and incentives
- Business license taxes
- Real and personal property ad valorem taxes
- Franchise and excise taxes
- Rental taxes
- Utilities gross receipts and license taxes
Tax Controversy and Litigation
Burr & Forman’s success in representing corporate clients in tax controversy is based on our extensive experience and commitment to establishing strong, personal and long-term relationships with our clients. Our attorneys frequently represent taxpayers in litigation with state and local taxing authorities in areas such as sales, use, occupational, ad valorem and business license taxation. This representation involves successfully thwarting efforts by tax authorities to assess our clients with state and local taxes, in litigation filed in federal and state courts as well as administrative tribunals.
- Administrative audits
- Defending preliminary and final tax assessments
- Commencing or defending litigation over tax assessments
- Trials in federal and state courts, and administrative tribunals
Burr & Forman helps enterprises with all aspects of tax law. We assist with tax issues related to entity formation and capitalization, as well as mergers, acquisitions and divestitures. We also assist clients during audits, controversies and appeals at both the state and federal level.
Tax laws are frequently changing and can present a wide range of complicated legal issues for clients. Tax issues can arise from most all types of business and financial activities and require careful planning in order to implement the most advantageous tax strategies. In today’s environment, consideration of tax issues is an important part of any business or economic plan and can lead to more informed financial decisions and efficient use of resources. Experienced tax representation is critical in order to identify the obstacles and opportunities arising from federal, state, and local tax issues. Burr & Forman is committed to providing top quality service and working with clients to develop innovative and practical solutions to tax issues.
Our tax attorneys are well versed in international taxation laws and have represented domestic and foreign clients in international tax matters. Our international tax experience includes:
- Tax advice on structuring cross-border financial and lending transactions, mergers & acquisitions, joint-ventures and investments
- Domestic International Sales Corporations (DISCs) and Foreign Sales Corporations (FSCs)
- Transfer pricing rules and regulations
- Tax and corporate inversions
- Offshore voluntary disclosure initiatives for persons with unreported foreign entities and bank accounts
- Citizenship renouncements, expatriations and the U.S. Exit Tax
- Executive and personnel mobility and tax equalization
Our tax attorneys work to develop and implement substantive and practical tax advice and strategies for our clients in all of the above areas, while at the same time, we assist our clients in evaluating other business and legal issues involved. We deliver seamless legal services to our clients utilizing the resources from other practice groups within Burr, such as our Business, Litigation, Financial Services and Real Estate groups.
For more information please contact one of the members of our tax group.