Beth is a Partner in the firm’s Environmental Practice Group and a member of the firm’s Diversity Committee. She is a former Assistant Regional Counsel with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in Region 4. She focuses her environmental practice on regulatory compliance, permitting, enforcement defense, and litigation.
Beth handles the environmental aspects of corporate and real estate transactions, as well as occupational safety and health compliance and zoning and land use issues. Beth has extensive experience with counseling and litigation in all aspects of federal and state laws related to hazardous waste, underground storage tanks, water, air and occupational safety and health. Beth focuses her product liability practice on counseling clients regarding compliance with consumer product safety and food and drug regulatory requirements, including designing and managing recalls and defending related product liability claims. She has counseled numerous manufacturers, importers and retailers regarding compliance with consumer product and food and drug safety requirements. Beth has published numerous articles and spoken frequently on issues associated with water, hazardous waste and air compliance and consumer product safety issues.
- Negotiating operating permits, synthetic minor permits, Title V, PSD and NPDES permits for facilities all over the country, and resolution of numerous air compliance issues across the country.
- Handling all environmental aspects of developments in Georgia, Virginia, Florida, North Carolina and South Carolina, including assessment of waters of the United States and related permitting and compliance issues, obtaining authorizations from the Army Corps of Engineers, state and local authorities as necessary to reroute and pipe stream and construct mixed use developments.
- Representing industry, developer and lending clients in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Tennessee, South Carolina, Florida and Georgia regarding strategies and funding for brownfields redevelopment projects.
- Assisting various companies in complying with TSCA, including pre-manufacture notifications, significant new use rules, record keeping and reporting requirements associated with manufacturing, importing, exporting, processing or distributing chemicals.
CPSC/FDA Regulatory Issues
- Counseling numerous manufacturers, importers and retailers regarding compliance with consumer product safety requirements, including the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008.
- Designing and managing national voluntary, fast track recalls for consumer products manufacturers and importers.
- Designing and managing investigations of alleged safety issues associated with a broad spectrum of consumer products, including televisions, CD/DVD players, radios, GPS devices, computers, headphones, speakers, batteries, furniture, furniture finishes, various personal care products.
- Advise clients on premarket issues and approval strategies, including marketing submissions, product classification, establishment registration and product listing and medical device reporting.
- Advise marketers of conventional foods and dietary supplements regarding compliance with FDA regulatory requirements, review labeling for issues such as health and “natural” claims, nutrient content claims, dietary supplements. Also advise on cGMP and HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points) issues in food manufacturing agreements.
Beth received her B.A. from Agnes Scott College and her J.D. from the University of Georgia School of Law. Outside her practice, Beth is involved in the American Bar Association, Diversity Law Institute, Trial Law Institute and the Stonewall Bar Association of Georgia. In addition, she is a member of the National LGBT Bar Association and the Lambda Legal’s National Leadership Council.