The health care industry is one of the most complex and highly regulated industries in the country. Burr & Forman’s health care attorneys practice preventative law by helping our clients spot risk areas so the client can take corrective action and avoid expensive legal consequences such as the imposition of civil monetary penalties.
Our attorneys understand the balance between sound financial business arrangements and smart compliance practices. They know the intricacies of drafting compliance programs as well as effective ways to comply with the false claims act, fraud and abuse regulations, the alphabet soup of government audit programs, the self-disclosure protocols and HIPAA requirements.
We have experience assisting health care providers in any and all types of compliance and regulatory matters including:
- Drafting and implementing Corporate Compliance Programs for all types of health care providers
- Analyzing referral relationships between health care providers and referral sources and drafting related agreements
- Drafting HIPAA and HITECH compliance policies, procedures and related forms
- Assisting covered entities and/or business associates with HIPAA and HITECH breach notifications, as well as responding to government breach investigations
- Billing and coding audit responses and appeals for federal health care benefit program recoupment programs such as RACs, ZPICs, and CERTS
- Compliance with FDA marketing and labeling requirements
- State and federal fraud and abuse matters
- Third-party payor enrollment, billing, and compliance
- Medicare, Medicaid and third-party payor hearings and appeals
- Intellectual property filing and compliance issues
- Provider licensure issues