Burr & Forman represents a number of clients in international and tax law including businesses expanding operations overseas, foreign investors looking to enter the U.S., and individuals moving across the globe. We represent a variety of international clients with U.S. operations and have the capability to represent our U.S. clients anywhere. Through our network of international professionals and involvement in the global legal organization TerraLex, we have the ability to connect our clients with attorneys and law firms in jurisdictions around the world.
We assist clients with international operations and issues throughout a variety of areas including:
- Global business & finance
- Intellectual property
- International tax
- Labor & employment
- Trade & compliance
Global Business & Finance
- Cross-border mergers & acquisitions, joint-ventures, divestitures & reorganizations
- International finance, including cross-border syndicated credit facilities
- Foreign Direct Investment (FDI)
- S. investment overseas
- Consular representation
- Family-based immigration
- I-9 Workplace compliance
- Labor certifications
- Temporary & permanent visas
Our tax attorneys are experienced in international taxation laws and represent domestic and foreign clients in international tax matters.
Our international tax experience includes:
- Citizenship renouncements, expatriations & the U.S. Exit Tax
- Domestic International Sales Corporations (DISCs) & Foreign Sales Corporations (FSCs)
- Executive & personnel mobility & tax equalization
- Offshore voluntary disclosure initiatives for persons with unreported foreign entities & bank accounts
- Structuring cross-border financial & lending transactions, mergers & acquisitions, joint-ventures & investments
- Tax & corporate inversions
- Transfer pricing rules & regulations
Our tax attorneys work to develop and implement substantive and practical tax advice and strategies for our clients in all of the above areas, while at the same time, assisting our clients in evaluating other business and legal issues involved. We utilize resources from other areas within Burr, such as our business, litigation, financial services, lending, and real estate groups.
- Cross-border licensing of US-based & non-US IP
- Filing & protecting patent, trademark & copyrights
Trade & Compliance
- Anti-bribery laws
- Corporate anti-corruption policies
- Export compliance regulations, including EAR, ITAR & OFAC.
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA)
- Global privacy and security including the US/EU Safe Harbor
- UK Bribery Act
Read MoreRead Less
Looking to discuss your International Law & Tax issues?