- Mergers & acquisitions
- Real estate
- Sales & use tax
- Securities offerings
- State & local tax planning
- Tax controversy matters involving federal, state & local taxes
- Tax exempt entity organization & planning
- Tax opinions
- Trusts, estates & gift planning
- Wealth management & transfers
State and Local Tax (SALT)
Burr & Forman assists clients with state and local tax planning and controversies against state, local and private tax collecting authorities. We advise clients on changing tax issues including planning, compliance, policy, and reducing the impact of pending tax assessments when necessary.
We assist clients in state and local taxes including:
- Business license taxes
- Corporate & individual income taxes
- Franchise & excise taxes
- Real & personal property ad valorem taxes
- Rental taxes
- Sales & use taxes
- Tax credits, exemptions & incentives
- Utilities gross receipts & license taxes
Tax Controversy & Litigation
Our attorneys represent taxpayers in litigation with state and local taxing authorities in areas such as sales, use, occupational, ad valorem and business license taxation. This representation involves successfully thwarting efforts by tax authorities to assess our clients with state and local taxes, in litigation filed in federal and state courts as well as administrative tribunals.
We represent clients in matters related to:
- Administrative audits
- Commencing or defending litigation over tax assessments
- Defending preliminary & final tax assessments
Trials in federal & state courts & administrative tribunals
We assist clients with tax issues related to entity formation and capitalization, as well as mergers, acquisitions and divestitures.
We work with clients to consider all possible tax issues as part of business or economic plans so clients can make more informed financial decisions and use their resources efficiently. We advise clients in identifying obstacles and opportunities from federal, state, and local tax issues and work with them to develop innovative and practical solutions.