Allan has 40 years of civil litigation experience, principally on the defense side. His practice focuses on product liability personal injury and wrongful death cases, particularly those involving asbestos and other toxic substances.
He has successfully defended product manufacturers and premises owners in personal injury and wrongful death cases involving multiple parties from discovery through trial and appeals. Additionally, Allan has defended insurers in fraud and bad faith actions, and has served as coverage counsel involving disputes between insureds and insurers concerning the scope and breadth of insurance policy provisions relative to certain risks.
He has experience in all state and federal courts in Alabama and Mississippi, as well as the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit.
Allan practices in Burr & Forman’s Transportation, Insurance and Product Section: Risk Mitigation and Complex Litigation practice group.
- Defended joint compound manufacturing client as well as industrial pump manufacturers in successful products liability claims in asbestos personal injury and wrongful death actions in Jefferson, Colbert, Madison, DeKalb, Montgomery, Marengo, Clarke, Washington, and Mobile counties.
- Defended industrial premises owners in successful premises liability claims in asbestos personal injury and wrongful death actions in Jefferson County.
- Defended successful claims involving silicosis and other toxic chemical exposures in Dougherty, Georgia, and Mobile County, Alabama.
- Defended appeals in the Alabama Supreme Court seeking to expand the definition of when a cause of action based upon injuries due to asbestos exposure “accrues” for statute of limitations purposes under Alabama law.
- Defended a health care insurer in a successful bad faith lawsuit involving the denial of health insurance coverage for a hysterectomy operation based upon a pre-existing condition.
- Defended an insurer by successfully obtaining summary judgments in several life insurance policy “vanishing premium” fraud actions.
- Represented a large independent grocery company in successfully prosecuting a claim for the replacement of a defective warehouse roof damaged by hurricane winds.
Honors & Recognitions
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America®, Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions-Defendants since 2013
- Mid-South Super Lawyers, Personal Injury Products: Defense (2016-2017)
- Alabama Super Lawyers, Insurance (2014-2015)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent™ Peer Review Rating
- Hilton; Austin; TX
Professional & Community
- American Bar Association
- Alabama State Bar
- Mississippi State Bar
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Alabama Defense Lawyers Association
- Defense Research Institute
- J.D., University of Alabama School of Law (1982)
- B.A., cum laude, Auburn University (1978)
- All Alabama Federal Courts
- All State Courts of Alabama
- All Mississippi Federal Courts
- All State Courts of Mississippi
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit