“While transactions or cases, in general, may involve similar issues, it is the unique nature of each client’s experience and circumstances that excites me the most and inspires me to find new and innovative ways to help them achieve their goals.”
Having spent more than 30 years negotiating and litigating a wide array of commercial real estate and business transactions, Brad Skidmore brings a wealth of practical knowledge coupled with a pragmatic, solution-oriented approach to each matter he handles for his clients.
Brad serves as outside counsel to local, regional, and national real estate owners and investors in a wide variety of real estate matters across the country, including the acquisition, development, management, and disposition of office buildings, industrial and warehousing facilities, retail centers, mixed-use projects, resort properties, and telecommunication sites. In addition, he regularly represents private health care companies, hospital systems, physicians, and dentists in the purchase, sale, development, management, and leasing of healthcare properties, including medical and dental offices, surgery centers, and other facilities. He also represents clients in negotiations with state and local government for the development and operation of projects involving public-private partnerships, tax credits, zoning, and other land use matters.
Away from the office, Brad enjoys traveling with his wife, Stephanie, a commercial real estate attorney herself, and spending time with their four children. He is an avid football fan and enjoys cycling, fly fishing and bird hunting during his free time.
Brad earned his J.D. from Emory University School of Law and his B.A. in Chemistry from Emory University.
- Led the legal and development teams for a multi-billion dollar real estate fund in the acquisition of a real estate holding company valued at approximately $350 million and the corresponding development of the company's real estate assets, including negotiations and comprehensive due diligence for site development, rezoning and economic development incentives.
- Served as lead counsel for Canadian corporation in the sale of premier medical office development to large national medical properties REIT, which occurred in two phases after condominiumizing the property in preparation for the proposed sale; responsibilities included drafting condominium documents, negotiating sales contract and seller financing documents, and counseling client on transaction structure to minimize tax consequences due to foreign citizenship.
- Represented founder and major stakeholder of fast-food franchising company in the sale of an ownership interest to New York based international investment banking company; responsibilities included negotiation for and oversight of real estate assets included in the transaction, as well as sale and transfer of aircraft and related assets.
- Supervised the development of multiple residential treatment facilities for private behavioral health systems, including negotiations and comprehensive due diligence for site acquisition, zoning certification and local land use and construction permitting, and state review/approval of the proposed facility.
- Represented public hospital authority in the development of various campus outparcels for medical offices and ambulatory surgery center, including review and negotiation of architect and general contractor agreements, and drafting applicable covenants, conditions, and restrictions for the sale of medical office condominiums to local physicians/practices.
- Served as regional counsel for a private healthcare company with more than 300 facilities nationwide and abroad in acquisition and development of numerous sites/assemblages for new and existing facilities in the southeastern US, as well as asset acquisitions of various related physician practices, and in the development and operation of cellular towers at multiple sites across the Southeast.
- Represented private health care company in negotiating the purchase and redevelopment of a 56,000 square foot Class A office building and surrounding property into an in-patient hospital campus, the cost of which exceeded $35 million; representation included negotiating and obtaining zoning certification and other land use approvals, title and survey review, and all other aspects of due diligence, as well as assisting with state licensure matters.
- Served as lead counsel for various owners/developers and professional practice groups in the acquisition, development, investment, leasing, and operation of various health care facilities and properties, including medical office buildings, ambulatory surgery centers, and in-patient acute care hospital facilities throughout the Southeast.
- Represented holding company and related entities in multiple financing transactions for the acquisition of franchise operations and assets in more than 10 states across the country; representation included negotiating multimillion dollar credit facilities with institutional lenders secured by both real estate and non-real estate assets, private equity investments and the sale and leaseback of multiple real estate locations to various REITs nationwide.
- Served as lead counsel for a national freight transportation company in obtaining credit facilities totaling in excess of $100 million, as well as the creation and development of ancillary business units in the credit card payment processing, financing/factoring, and transportation insurance industries. Representation included negotiating credit facility terms and documents with institutional lenders; payment processing terms and agreements with VISA®, Discover®, and American Express®; developing loan/credit agreements and related documents for factoring borrowers; and funding and investment terms and agreements with private equity partners.
- Represented foreign owner and developer of U.S. real estate portfolio in the operation, leasing, and disposition of industrial and medical office properties, including the sale of marquis medical office building in Atlanta, Georgia to national medical property REIT for in excess of $75 million.
- Successfully served as lead counsel for public hospital authority and its affiliated regional medical center in successfully opposing a private health care system’s special use permit application for the development of a competing acute care and emergency medical facility, the approval of which would have resulted in a minimum loss of $22 million in cash revenue annually; competing private health system elected not to appeal local government decision based on the record established by our opposition in conjunction with the public hearing for the application. Responsibilities included supervision of hospital authority personnel, physicians and other medical staff, and experts in the development and presentation of evidence and other opposition materials, as well as conducting all in-person and other direct communications with local government officials.
- Successfully defended a public hospital in litigation over physician recruitment and employment agreements; the case was resolved prior to trial by renegotiation of physician agreements on terms that were more favorable to the hospital.
- Represented private corrections company in negotiations with state and local government for the development and operation of state-owned corrections facilities, including industrial development tax credits and zoning matters.
- Successfully prosecuted multiple applications for rezoning and special use permits on behalf of a foreign owner/developer of a 250-acre mixed-use, master planned development comprised of office/commercial, retail, and residential components. Responsibilities included negotiation and drafting of text amendments for the local zoning ordinance, negotiation and preparation of multiple development agreements with the local county and municipal government for intersection improvements and right-of-way, water and sewer capacity, and other infrastructure, and representation before state governmental bodies such as Georgia Department of Transportation, Georgia Regional Transit Authority, and Atlanta Regional Commission to obtained required approvals.
- Represented California-based national banking institution in multiple real estate lending transactions, including the purchase and redevelopment of the largest warehousing and stevedore operation at the Port of Savannah, purchase and leaseback of various medical office buildings, and the acquisition and redevelopment of multi-family residential properties and retail projects throughout the United States.
- Served as lead counsel for an international OEM computer hardware manufacturing company in purchase/leaseback of manufacturing and warehousing facility with rental income in excess of $2 million annually.
- Served as primary counsel for an Atlanta-based real estate development firm and its affiliated investment group in an action brought against a former partner and a national REIT for breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, and various other business-related torts associated with the dissolution of a joint venture in which the claimed damages exceeded $5 million. The case settled after the trial court entered summary judgment in our client’s favor. Responsibilities included investigation of claims, supervision of all aspects of discovery, arguing summary judgment and other dispositive motions, and conducting settlement negotiations.
Honors & Recognitions
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America®, Real Estate Law (2024)
- Robert W. Woodruff Merit Scholar
- American College of Trial Lawyers Medal for Excellence in Advocacy
- National Moot Court Competition, National Champion and Region V Champion (1990)
- National Tax Moot Court Competition, Winner (1989)
Professional & Community
- National Association of Sports Officials
- Georgia Association of Athletic Officials
- Georgia Football Officials Association
- Greater Atlanta Alumni Association – Sigma Alpha Epsilon Fraternity
- O.P.M. Homeowners Association, Board Member (2015 – present), President (2017 – present)
- State Bar of Georgia
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Building and Owners Management Association (BOMA) of Georgia
- Urban Land Institute – Atlanta Chapter
- J.D., Emory University School of Law
- Order of the Barristers
- B.A., Emory University
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court - Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court - Middle District of Tennessee
- Georgia Supreme Court
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- Tennessee Supreme Court
- Tennessee Court of Appeals