Cat Kirkland is a Partner in the firm’s Health Care practice group and represents a diverse set of healthcare clients, including hospitals, physicians, and healthcare start-ups, in legal, compliance, regulatory, and reimbursement-related matters.
Cat’s reimbursement work includes assisting hospitals with navigating supplemental Medicaid programs, such as the Medicaid disproportionate share hospital (DSH), upper payment limit (UPL), or incentive-based reimbursement programs. Cat has experience in working closely with state leaders and industry associations to implement and design new programs, as well as to modify existing programs as needed to ensure continued compliance. Cat’s reimbursement expertise also extends beyond Medicaid. For example, Cat has recently assisted both large and rural hospitals with reporting and auditing for the CARES Act Provider Relief Fund and has also helped other providers analyze billing practices and address overpayment determinations.
Cat’s practice is grounded in a strong knowledge of transactions, regulations, and compliance. Cat regularly assists with issues such as healthcare contracting and business matters, Stark, Anti-Kickback, and False Claims Act analysis, policy drafting, federal investigations, provider self-reporting to the Office of Inspector General (OIG), financial modeling, and compliance planning.
When she is not in the office, Cat spends her time cooking, reading, and spending time with her family.
- Speaking EngagementAlabama Hospital Association (AlaHa), 2022 Annual Meeting, "Alabama Medicaid: Reimbursement Issues and Lessons Learned"
- Speaking EngagementMedical Group Management Association (MGMA) of Alabama, Mobile Chapter, November Membership Luncheon, “Medicare Audits and Appeals”
- Speaking EngagementAmerican Health Law Association (AHLA), Virtual Health Care Transactions 2021, "No Strings Attached? Understanding the Provider Relief Fund in Health Care Transactions"
- Speaking EngagementAmerican Health Law Association (AHLA), Virtual Physicians and Hospitals Law Institute 2021 "Negotiating Physician Agreements: Issues And Tips For Hospitals And Physicians"
- Speaking EngagementBusiness Council of Alabama (BCA), "The Provider Relief Fund: FAQs, Federal Reporting, and Future Audits"
- Articles / PublicationsMedical Association of the State of Alabama News Center
- Articles / Publications
Professional & Community
- Junior League of Mobile
- The American Health Lawyers Association
- Mobile Bar Association, Law Day Chair (2021), Secretary (2022)
- Texas Bar Association
- J.D., University of Texas School of Law (2011)
- B.J., B.A., special honors, University of Texas at Austin (2008)