In Memoriam: Dent Morton
Burr & Forman pays tribute to Birmingham Partner Dent Morton, who passed away on March 3, 2023. Dent had a storied career as a litigator and advisor in labor and employment matters.
“Dent was a great attorney and partner, but more importantly a good and loyal friend to many. He was honest, forthright and had a wonderfully subtle, but piercing, sense of humor. Dent will be sorely missed by all of us,” said Ed Christian, CEO.
During his 34 years with Burr & Forman, Dent represented employers in both state and federal courts, including in class and collective actions, and before agencies such as the Equal Opportunity Commission, the Department of Labor, and the National Labor Relations Board. His litigation efforts consisted primarily of complex commercial cases, with special focus on those involving franchisee or distributor rights.
While Dent took great pride in his work, his proudest professional achievements were the relationships he built. When asked his favorite thing about the law, he answered, “Interacting with my clients. Educating clients and helping them avoid or address problems is very satisfying, as is obtaining a good result for people you have grown to know and like.”
Dent practices in the Labor & Employment Law and Litigation sections, with an emphasis in complex litigation.
In the Labor and Employment area, Dent advises and represents employers regarding a broad range of issues, including compliance with:
- Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964
- The Civil Rights Act of 1866
- The Age Discrimination in Employment Act
- The Family & Medical Leave Act
- The Fair Labor Standards Act
- The Alabama Age Discrimination Act
- The National Labor Relations Act
- The Labor Management Relations Act
Dent has extensive experience in representing employers in state and federal courts, including in class and collective actions, and before agencies such as the Equal Opportunity Commission, the Department of Labor, and the National Labor Relations Board, and in advising employers with respect to hiring, discipline, termination, handbook and policy matters.
In the Litigation area, Dent focuses on complex commercial cases, especially those involving franchisee or distributor rights. One particular area of proficiency is disputes between automobile dealers and their manufacturers with respect to vehicle allocation issues and the addition or relocation of dealers within a market. Dent has handled such cases before courts and agencies across the country. He also has extensive experience in representing corporate clients before the Georgia Office of Consumer Affairs in connection with advertising and consumer matters.
Dent is currently listed in Alabama Super Lawyers, Best Lawyers in Alabama, and Best Lawyers in America.
Honors & Recognitions
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America®, Employment Law-Management since 2012, Commercial Litigation since 2013
- Mid-South Super Lawyers, Employment and Labor (2016-2017)
- Alabama Super Lawyers, Employment & Labor (2010-2015)
- Articles / Publications
- J.D., summa cum laude, Cumberland School of Law at Samford University (1987)
- B.S., Samford University
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court - Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court - Northern District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court - Middle District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court - Southern District of Alabama