Jay Price is Practice Group Leader of Burr & Forman’s Lending Practice Group and has more than 25 years of experience with a wide range of lending transactions, including commercial real estate, commercial and industrial, senior housing and health care.
He also spends a considerable amount of his practice working on commercial real estate leasing issues, loan workout and restructuring transactions, and general real estate law matters.
His clients include national, regional, and community banking institutions, state pension plans, national and regional real estate investors and managers, and commercial borrowers of all sizes from numerous industry sectors.
Jay has worked on real estate financing transactions involving more than 35 states and corporate finance facilities involving several foreign countries. His honors and awards include recognition over the years from Chambers, Best Lawyers, Super Lawyers, and the Birmingham Business Journal in the areas of banking and real estate law.
He obtained both his undergraduate degree and law degree from Vanderbilt University, and was first employed by Burr & Forman as a college sophomore as part of the firm’s prelaw program. He began his law practice with the firm in 1997 in the Lending and Real Estate practice groups, where he has remained his entire career.
- Representing lenders in loans (both originations and workouts) involving special collateral situations such as shipping vessels, various equity interests, life insurance policy portfolios, solar power facilities, aircraft and automotive supply contracts.
- Representing domestic and international manufacturing clients in loans from domestic and foreign lenders related to manufacturing facilities in the Southeast (including some involving credit facilities exceeding $1 billion USD).
- Representing lenders in portfolio loans involving multiple properties across many states. Such transactions typically involve cross-collateralization structuring issues and intercreditor negotiations.
- Representing lenders in acquisition of loan portfolios involving real estate loans across many states.
- Representing a national multi-billion dollar real estate investment and manager as local counsel in numerous loan transactions, real estate acquisition projects and commercial leasing matters (including disputes) in Alabama and Tennessee.
- Representing local and community banks in middle market real estate, C&I and other asset-based lending transactions, both in original closings for new transactions and with respect to workouts and collection actions for defaulted loans.
- Representing commercial real estate lenders in construction loans for multi-family apartment projects across the United States (typically involving loan amounts between $20,000,000 and $50,000,000 per project).
- Representing commercial real estate lenders in health care loans (construction and refinance) involving projects such as medical office buildings, nursing homes and assisted living facilities throughout the United States.
Honors & Recognitions
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America®️, Real Estate Law since 2013, Commercial Finance Law since 2021
- Chambers USA, Leading Practitioner in Banking & Finance (2009-2018)
- Birmingham Business Journal, "Best of the Bar," Banking
- Birmingham Business Journal, "Leading Lawyers in Alabama"
- Birmingham Business Journal, "Top 40 Under 40"
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent© Peer Review Rating
- EventAlabama Banking Law Update Seminar, "Electronic Signatures/Remote Notaries"
- Articles / Publications
- Articles / Publications
Professional & Community
- Board Member, Alabama Goodwill Contract Services, Inc.
- American Bar Association
- Alabama State Bar
- Tennessee State Bar
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Kentucky State Bar
- J.D., Vanderbilt University Law School, (1997)
- B.A., Economics, Minor: Business Administration, magna cum laude, Vanderbilt University, (1994)