Mark is a member of our Real Estate Practice Group in Charleston, South Carolina.
He has represented lenders and borrowers in substantial real estate and corporate transactions, and represented lenders in mortgage and UCC foreclosures. Prior to becoming an attorney, he was a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) licensed in the state of New York, where he practiced with a predecessor to the accounting firm now known as PricewaterhouseCoopers.
Mark has been appointed by State and federal courts to conduct foreclosure sales of commercial property and related proceedings on behalf of the courts. He has regularly served as a speaker at continuing legal education programs and has made presentations in the areas of commercial real estate, banking law, and creditors’ rights.
- Represented a joint venture developer in the $63,000,000 acquisition of a 2,000 acre tract, the closing of a $50,000,000 acquisition and development loan, and the development of a luxury residential community on the South Carolina coast.
- Represented the lender in connection with a $34,000,000 commercial office building acquisition financing.
- Represented a joint venture developer in connection with a $52,000,000 loan refinance for a resort development on the South Carolina coast.
- Represented developer in connection with a $16,000,000 land loan refinance for undeveloped resort property.
- Represented UCC secured creditors in connection with the public and private sales of personal property collateral.
- Represented mortgage lenders in the foreclosure of commercial properties.
- Represented joint venture in the purchase of a nationally flagged hotel in the Charleston, South Carolina area.
- Represented seller in sale of industrial properties in upstate South Carolina.
- Represented purchaser in the acquisition of multiple industrial properties in the Charleston, South Carolina area.
- Represented European industry in the acquisition of an existing industrial facility on the South Carolina coast.
Honors & Recognitions
- Named, Chambers USA, Real Estate (2020-2022)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® since 2005, Banking and Finance Law since 2006, Corporate Law since 2007, Litigation - Banking and Finance since 2011, Real Estate Law since 2008
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America®, "Lawyer of the Year," Litigation - Banking and Finance, Charleston, South Carolina (2021)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent© Peer Review Rating
- Charleston Business Magazine, "Legal Elite," Banking and Finance (2020); Commercial Real Estate (2020-2021)
- Articles / PublicationsAuthor, The South Carolina chapter of the ABA publication Commercial Lending Law, a State-by-State Guide
- Articles / PublicationsAuthor, The South Carolina chapter of the recent ABA publication The Law of Guaranties, a Jurisdiction by Jurisdiction Guide to U.S. and Canadian Law
- Articles / PublicationsAuthor, The chapter on Multi-State Practice of Law and Ethics for the book Practical Guide to Commercial Real Estate in South Carolina, recently published by the South Carolina Bar
- Articles / PublicationsAuthor, The Use of Non-Imputation Endorsements in Equity Investment Transactions, ACREL Notes (December 2017)
- Articles / PublicationsCo-author, The South Carolina Third Party Legal Opinion Report, issued by the Corporate, Banking and Securities Law Section of the South Carolina Bar
Professional & Community
- Fellow, American College of Real Estate Lawyers
- Fellow, American College of Mortgage Attorneys Lawyers
- Past Chair, Real Estate Section of the South Carolina Bar
- Past Chair, Corporation, Banking and Securities Law Section of the South Carolina Bar
- Chair, Task Force on the Unauthorized Practice of Law in Commercial Transactions of the Corporations, Banking and Securities Law Section of the South Carolina Bar
- Member, Legal Opinion Ad Hoc Committee of the Corporate, Banking and Securities Law Section of the South Carolina Bar
- J.D., Order of the Coif, University of South Carolina School of Law (1981)
- M.B.A., New York University (1978)
- B.A., Yale University (1976)
- South Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court - South Carolina