Matt Barnes is a member of the firm's Corporate and Tax Practice Group and its Real Estate Practice Group. Matt's practice focuses on the areas of mergers and acquisitions, business planning, and general business and corporate matters. In addition, he has extensive experience in commercial and real estate lending and finance, real estate acquisition and leasing and intellectual property protection and licensing.
Matt represents primarily middle market clients (annual revenues of between $10 million to $1 billion) in a range of industries including information technology, entertainment, financial and investment advisors, manufacturers and suppliers in connection with mergers and acquisitions and general business matters.
Matt also has a diverse wireless telecommunications practice, representing communications tower owners, wireless carriers, wireless network infrastructure providers, other mobile broadband industry businesses and property owners in a wide range of legal and business issues.
- Represented a software company in connection with the sale of a division and product line.
- Represented a steel fabricator in connection with the sale of a division.
- Represented an investor group in its acquisition of a minor league baseball club.
- Represented an investor group in its acquisition of an industrial safety supply company.
- Represented a large restaurant franchisee in connection with its acquisition of approximately 30 locations of another franchisee (fee title and leased sites).
- Represented a medical device company in connection with its acquisition of a significant contractor.
- Represented an equipment rental company with multiple locations in its sale to a national chain.
- Represented an investor group in its acquisition of a media and entertainment subsidiary of an international corporation.
- Represented a medical device manufacturer in angel investor funding transaction.
- Represented a publicly traded communications infrastructure company in acquisitions and leasing.
Honors & Recognitions
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America®, Corporate Law since 2013, Mergers and Acquisitions Law since 2023
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, Real Estate, Business/Corporate, Mergers & Acquisitions (2023)
- Mid-South Super Lawyers, Real Estate (2016-2017)
- Alabama Super Lawyers, Mergers & Acquisitions (2014), Real Estate (2015)
- Birmingham Magazine's Top Attorneys in Corporate Finance (2012)
- Cumberland School of Law, Cordell Hull Teaching Fellow
- Cumberland Law Review, Associate Editor
Professional & Community
- American Bar Association
- Alabama State Bar
- Birmingham Bar Association
- J.D., Cumberland School of Law at Samford University (1996)
- B.S., University of Alabama at Birmingham (1992)
- North Carolina