Paul Harrill has extensive experience in state and federal litigation in South Carolina. His areas of practice include commercial and business litigation, banking and collection litigation, real property litigation, intellectual property and tort litigation.
Paul’s commercial litigation experience includes contract disputes, business torts, trade secret and intellectual property disputes. He has litigated numerous large commercial collection matters including foreclosures, enforcement of security interests, receiverships and guarantor suits. Paul has also litigated numerous tort cases, primarily representing the defense. He is certified by the South Carolina Board of Arbitrator and Mediator Certification as a circuit court mediator.
- Armstrong v. Food Lion, Inc., 371 S.C. 271, 639 S.E.2d 50 (2006)
- Colleton County Taxpayers Ass’n v. School Dist. of Colleton County, 371 S.C. 224, 638 S.E.2d 685 (2006)
- Bessinger v. Food Lion, Inc., 305 F.Supp.2d 574 (2003)
- Systran Financial Services Corp. v. Giant Cement Holding, Inc., 252 F.Supp.2d 500 (2003)
- Crane v. Citicorp Nat. Services, Inc., 313 S.C. 70 437 S.E.2d 50 (1993)
- Obtained summary judgment in complex intellectual property litigation alleging patent infringement against public utility client.
- Successfully represented client in complex patent infringement litigation involving software.
- Served as co-counsel on significant SC Supreme Court opinion in favor of school district client upholding challenge to multi-million dollar bond issuance by school district.
- Obtained favorable ruling on newly revised Article 9 Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) issue in US District Court and favorable ruling in subsequent, complex UCC arbitration hearing.
- Successfully defended client in suit in US District Court and 4th Circuit Court of Appeals along with numerous co-defendants; involved allegations of violation of SC Unfair Trade Practices Act.
- Successfully defended numerous jury trials in state and federal courts in actions alleging multiple tort claims.
- Litigated numerous complex commercial and contractual business disputes in state and federal courts.
- Represented lenders in numerous large commercial collection actions, including foreclosures of shopping centers, office parks, golf courses and an ice rink.
- Represented retail clients in numerous tort defense cases, including numerous successful jury trials.
- Litigated numerous real property cases involving issues such as condemnation, adverse possession and title disputes.
- Represented numerous business clients in intellectual property litigation, including trade secret, trademark, copyright and patent litigation.
Honors & Recognitions
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America®, "Lawyer of the Year," Litigation: Banking and Finance, Columbia, SC (2015)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America®, Commercial Litigation since 2010, Litigation - Banking and Finance since 2011, Litigation - Real Estate since 2011
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent© Peer Review Rating
Professional & Community
- John Belton O'Neal Inn of Court
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA)
- Fourth Circuit Judicial Conference
- J.D., University of South Carolina (1990)
- B.A., College of William & Mary (1986)
- South Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court - South Carolina