“He is very responsive and really takes ownership of the issues. He is appropriately aggressive and he really does a good job of understanding the legal issues and defining the legal argument. I have no improvements to suggest – we got an incredible outcome. We just like the fact that he engages with the business instead of just the legal part of the transaction. He does an excellent job.” - Client Quote from Chambers USA
Rik Tozzi is a trial and class action lawyer who resides in our Birmingham office. His advocacy spans numerous industries and focuses on business disputes and consumer claims.
Rik has served as lead counsel in over 100 class actions and tried or arbitrated over 100 matters to conclusion. His trial and class action experience includes:
- Representation of major waste providers in matters involving PFAS/PFOA and other alleged toxins, as well as commercial litigation,
- Representing partners in numerous business divorce/break-up trials,
- Serving as national counsel to major financial institutions in individual cases and class actions involving the FCRA, FDCPA, FCBA, TILA, HOEPA, securitization and mortgages, including reps and warranties,
- Serving as lead trial counsel in the Southeast for a major pharmaceutical chain in opioid cases,
- Representing the City of Jacksonville in its $4 billion suit involving the construction of a nuclear power plant, and
- Representing various types of companies in matters involving claims relating to pricing, unfair and deceptive business cases, disputed charges and RICO allegations, and enforcing covenants not to compete and defending attempts to do the same.
Rik also is regularly called on to serve as lead/coordinating counsel in mass actions throughout the country and has been retained to handle numerous oral arguments in State and Federal Appellate courts.
A past specially appointed State Assistant Attorney General, Rik also represents entities before state attorneys general. He was honored to be retained by various State AG consumer protection divisions to lead their efforts in prosecuting civil claims against fraudulent Internet debt relief schemes. This representation resulted in over $90 million recovered and returned to defrauded consumers.
Away from the office, Rik spends time with his children and is heavily involved in soccer. A past professional and collegiate player in England, Rik has qualified for the FA coaching badge, served as a collegiate and youth coach, and is a minority owner of the USL’s Birmingham Legion.
Mr. Tozzi received his Bachelor’s and Master’s with Honors from Oxford University, Mansfield College, and his J.D. (cum laude) from Tulane, where he was also awarded a certificate in environmental law and served as the Recent Developments Editor for the Tulane Environmental Law Review.
Speeches and Publications
- “Legal Theories for Defense Counsel in Dangerous Jurisdictions,” Consumer Finance Class Actions, New York, New York
- “Strategies for Trying Consumer Finance Cases,” Consumer Finance Litigation and Class Actions, Chicago, Illinois
- “Removal Strategies in Dangerous Jurisdictions,” Consumer Finance Litigation and Class Actions, New York, New York
- “How to Argue Summary Judgments in Firm Offer of Credit Cases Given Cole,” Consumer Credit Litigation, New York, NY
- Represents National Bank in Nationwide Class Action alleging TILA violations.
- Represents National Bank in all litigated matters related to credit card securitizations.
- Represents solid waste company in series of Class Actions relating to pricing.
- Represents Federal Savings Bank in Nationwide Class Action pending in Florida relating to the force placement of various types of insurance, including flood insurance.
- Represents National Bank in various TCPA and State recording cases in Florida, Georgia, Maryland, and California.
- Represented two National Banks in cases brought by the Mississippi Attorney General contesting various products sold in conjunction with credit cards.
- Currently representing a major mortgage originator in a series of individual cases contesting foreclosures, collection practices and the computation of arrearages in Illinois, Arizona, Ohio, Georgia, Florida, Texas, and California.
- Represents National Bank in two class actions in State of Ohio alleging that credit card debt was sought to be collected outside of the applicable statute of limitations.
Honors & Recognitions
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America®, Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions - Defendants (2022-2023), Insurance Law (2023)
- Listed, Chambers USA, Litigation: General Commercial (2006-2023)
- Benchmark Litigation, Local Litigation Star (2008-2018, 2021)
- Mid-South Super Lawyers, Consumer Law since 2016
- Alabama Super Lawyers, Consumer Law (2010-2015)
- Editor, Tulane Environmental Law Review (1993)
Professional & Community
- Indian Springs School, Men's Varsity Soccer Coach (2002-2018)
- Alabama Bar Association
Legal Practice Assistant
Tracy L. Launsby
- J.D., cum laude, Tulane University (1993)
- LLM, with honors, Environmental Law, Tulane University (1993)
- M.A. and B.S., with honors, Oxford University - Mansfield College (1990)