“Vic Hayslip regularly works with big-name corporations on a range of disputes. He often handles IP and trade secrets cases.”–Chambers USA
As chair of Burr & Forman’s Commercial Litigation practice group, Vic is focused on complex business and financial litigation, securities, industry disputes, and arbitration.
He is experienced in federal and state courts across the U.S., defending financial services clients against class actions and breach of fiduciary duty and derivative claims. He also represents institutions, directors, and officers in matters related to breach of trust, shareholder disagreements, injunctive relief actions, disputes with regulators, and non-compete agreements.
Vic serves as an arbitrator for the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FNRA), a consolidation of the New York Stock Exchange’s (NYSE) enforcement arm, and the National Association of Securities Dealers (NASD). He has also arbitrated all types of shareholder, intra-industry, and customer disputes, and he serves as a mediator for civil cases.
In addition, Vic uses his extensive litigation, arbitration, and mediation experience to conduct tailored training sessions for industry personnel. He frequently conducts seminars for financial advisors and registered investment advisors on best practices, red flag identification, and claims avoidance. He has also given several presentations on internet use and research for attorneys and legal staff, and regularly speaks to financial institutions and securities firms on a variety of current topics.
He has been quoted in numerous publications and was the focus of “Friends’ Christmas Card Keeps on Coming,” an article in The Tuscaloosa News that highlighted a friendship and its special tradition that has lasted for decades.
- Representing financial institutions in connection with UCC claims, securities claims, and injunctive relief actions.
- Represented a number of employers and employees in connection with non-compete agreements and obtaining and opposing injunctive relief claims.
- Representing officers and directors in shareholder derivative suits.
- Defended a number of companies in connection with alleged violations of Section 43(a) of the Lanham Act.
- Representative experience defending a financial services client in a nationwide class action alleging violation of federal securities laws, including TARP, fraudulent financial reporting.
- Defended numerous bank trust departments against allegations of breach of fiduciary duty.
- Represented financial institutions in conjunction with state and federal securities laws related to allegations of mismanagement.
Honors & Recognitions
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America®️, since 2010, Arbitration since 2011, Mediation since 2011, Litigation-Banking and Finance since 2019
- Named, Chambers USA, Litigation: General Commercial (2021-2022)
- Benchmark Litigation Local Litigation Star (2021)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent© Peer Review Rating
- Mid-South Super Lawyers, Business Litigation since 2016
- Alabama Super Lawyers, Business Litigation (2009-2015)
No representation is made that the quality of the legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers.
- Articles / Publications
- Articles / Publications
Professional & Community
- Adopt-A-Golden Birmingham, Board Member
- American Bar Association
- Alabama State Bar
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Society of International Business Fellows
- J.D., summa cum laude, Cumberland School of Law at Samford University
- B.S., University of Alabama
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court - Middle District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court - Northern District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court - Southern District of Alabama