Burr & Forman’s experienced team helps clients navigate the complex cybersecurity and data privacy landscape with strategies designed to assess current risks, develop a corrective action plan, implement best practices, and provide immediate and appropriate responses to a cybersecurity breach.
- Data Breach Response. No matter how well one prepares, cyber incidents occur. Whether it is a ransomware attack, a business email compromise, or other type of incident, our team is here to assist with a response customized to fit the specifics of your business. Our experienced multi-disciplinary team provides immediate assistance, assessing insurance coverage and interfacing with your insurer, engaging forensic providers, offering legal input through the containment and investigation efforts including negotiations with threat actors if appropriate, notifying law enforcement, providing internal and external communications guidance, and assisting with remediation efforts. Our data privacy attorneys also guide clients in determining, understanding, and complying with all notification and monitoring requirements. While no one ever wants to be the victim of such an attack, we strive to help our clients come out in a stronger position than they started.
- Information Security Programs. A game plan to maintain and continuously improve your security position is key to defending against cyberattacks. Our multi-disciplinary team includes technically skilled attorneys who work with our client’s compliance and information technology teams to develop solid information security programs and well-crafted incident response plans that allow you to respond with confidence in the event of a security incident.
- Privacy, Policy & Compliance Audits. Burr & Forman’s Cybersecurity and Data Privacy team is equipped to help your organization evaluate its compliance with state and federal privacy and data-management requirements, including the GDPR, CCPA, CPRA, VCDPA, Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA), the HITECH Act, HIPAA, COPPA, DPPA, CAN-SPAM, and PCI DSS as well as other state and federal data-breach notification and privacy laws. We also help businesses evaluate Privacy Shield Framework compliance.
- Data Breach Litigation. Data breaches can lead to litigation, including nationwide class actions. Burr’s experienced litigation team is available to defend you against claims arising from your own data incidents and to assert your rights when others experience data incidents. Our attorneys are also available to assist you in navigating any regulatory penalties or assessments that might arise from a data breach.
- Insurance Coverage & Recovery. Insurance is a key component of cyber risk management. Our cross-disciplinary Cybersecurity group includes attorneys with significant experience in cyber-related insurance coverage who are prepared to advise clients as to possible gaps in coverage or what type of coverage is right for them. We also help our clients recover insurance proceeds when a covered cyber event occurs.