Cary's general practice has certain emphasis in real estate, condominium and planned unit development project documentation and residential/commercial real estate. He has a productive and varied condominium drafting practice in S.C.
In addition to real estate, Cary works regularly on general corporate and business matters, as well as public service district matters. Cary has served as counsel for various retail, residential and resort developments throughout the South Carolina Lowcountry since the late mid-70s. He has drafted hundreds of condominium and other project documents for various clients in South Carolina and Georgia.
Since Cary has been practicing on Hilton Head Island since 1974, the growth of the Lowcountry has resulted in real estate developments being on the cutting edge insofar as legal and real estate documentation is concerned. Therefore, Cary has been able to expand the horizon of the documentation to include, not only the normal residential and commercial properties, but mixed use retail centers, continuing care condominium communities, a significant number of fractional interest projects, office condominium projects, and dockominiums, or boat slip condominiums.
Cary is a member of various bar associations and has served both as Chairman and House Delegate to the South Carolina Bar’s Real Estate Practices Section. He has been a frequent lecturer on various real estate topics for the South Carolina Bar and other groups for the past 30 years.
- Drafted first office condominium project on Hilton Head Island.
- Drafted first continuing care condo project documents in S.C.
- Handles complex real estate transaction involving national buyers or tenants with sophisticated in-house counsel or outside counsel on other side.
Honors & Recognitions
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America®, Real Estate Law since 2007
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America®, "Lawyer of the Year," Real Estate Law, Hilton Head Island/Savannah, SC (2016)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent© Peer Review Rating
- Articles / Publications
Professional & Community
- Greenwood Development Corporation, Former Member, Board of Directors
- Celebrity Golf Foundation, Council of Trustees, Trustee
- Hilton Head Island Jaycees, Former Member and Officer
- Dunes Marketing Group, Corporate Secretary/ Outside Counsel (1976-2019)
- Big Canoe Company, Corporate Secretary/ Outside Counsel (1987-2019)
- Broad Creek P.S.D., Legal Counsel and Assistant Secretary (1974-2019)
- Hilton Head Area Association of Realtors, Local Counsel
- National Land Council, Member, Director
- Hilton Head Chamber of Commerce, Former Member
Legal Practice Assistant
- J.D., Catholic University Law School (1972)
- B.A., LeMoyne College (1969)
- South Carolina
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the DC Circuit
- U.S. District Court - District of Columbia