“My practice is grounded in service. I set myself apart because I am responsive and thoughtful, always making sure to keep the big picture at the center of all decision-making. I develop close relationships with my clients, who rely on me for strategic as well as legal advice."
Russell enjoys a diverse, varied practice. He is privileged to serve as outside general counsel for several unique clients, meaning he gets to assist those clients with a broad spectrum of issues, including litigation/dispute resolution, corporate, compliance, government contracting, government relations, and issues specific to charitable, mission-driven businesses. He also serves as a liaison between his clients and Burr & Forman’s other highly skilled attorneys when the matter demands it.
Russell is well suited to serve as outside general counsel to his clients because he has wide-ranging experience, having handled an array of matters including high stakes litigation, loan workouts, and bankruptcy matters under Chapters 7, 11, and 13 of the Bankruptcy Code, health care matters including representation in Certificate of Need proceedings, construction disputes, labor and employment matters, constitutional challenges, real estate transactions, and many others. Such a broad base of experience helps Russell take a holistic approach with clients that is founded on creating personal relationships built on mutual respect. He truly sees it as an honor to be trusted with his clients’ most complex problems.
Russell serves as the chair of Burr & Forman’s Pro Bono Committee and has dedicated a large amount of his practice to pro bono matters, as well as civic-minded and mission-driven efforts. In addition, he is a member of the United Way of Central Alabama’s Tocqueville Society and serves on the Board of Directors for Girls Inc. of Central Alabama. He has also served on numerous junior boards, including those of The Bell Center, St. Vincent’s Foundation and Red Mountain Park. In his spare time, Russell enjoys traveling with his wife, Laura Leigh, and spending time with their young children.
Russell earned his J.D. from The University of Alabama School of Law and his B.A. from The University of Mississippi.
Honors & Recognitions
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America®, Commercial Litigation since 2021, Litigation- Bankruptcy since 2023
- Mid-South Super Lawyers "Rising Star," General Litigation (2019-2021), Nonprofit Organizations (2022-2023)
- “Birmingham’s Rising Legal Stars,” Birmingham Business Journal (2015)
- Alabama Rising Stars®, General Litigation, Thomson Reuters (2015-2018)
- Articles / PublicationsMulti-Housing News
- Articles / Publications
Professional & Community
- Board, Girls Inc. of Central Alabama
- Junior Board, The Bell Center
- Advisory Board and Past Chair, St. Vincent’s Foundation
- Past Member, Red Mountain Park Junior Board of Directors
- Member, Project Corporate Leadership, Class of 2017
- Volunteer, Birmingham Volunteer Lawyers Program
- Volunteer, Project Homeless Connect
- Volunteer, Habitat for Humanity
- 2021 Birmingham MS Leadership Class
- Executive Committee Member, Bankruptcy and Commercial Law Section, Birmingham Bar Association
- J.D., University of Alabama School of Law (2011)
- B.A., University of Mississippi (2008)