Andy Spence represents companies in the telecommunications, aerospace, and e-commerce industries with a focus on matters involving patent preparation/prosecution, litigation, transactional/licensing activities, and patent procurement and protection.
Andy regularly counsels clients on intellectual property matters such as patent infringement, validity and enforceability issues, and intellectual property due diligence. He also handles post-issuance patent matters and assists clients in patent interference and reissue proceedings.
In addition, Andy handles patent matters related to wireline and wireless networks, personal communication service, cellular communication, data encoding/decoding, economic modeling, computer-aided design and manufacturing (CAD/CAM), signal processing, flight simulation, radar, antenna, microwave engineering, and micro-computing, as well as online real estate and travel services.
Andy is also an award-winning author and a regular speaker on patent law matters both domestically and abroad. He serves as a volunteer attorney with Legal Aid of North Carolina’s Lawyer on the Line program, assisting pro bono clients with landlord-tenant matters.
- Regularly assists one of the world’s largest manufacturers of home appliances with patentability and clearance evaluations, patent preparation and prosecution.
- Assists one of the originators of three-dimensional (3D) printing technology with patent preparation and prosecution.
- Regularly negotiates confidentiality agreements with financial institutions on behalf of a market leader in bank-owned life insurance.
Honors & Recognitions
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America®️, Litigation – Intellectual Property, Patent Law since 2016
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America®️, "Lawyer of the Year," Patent Law, Charlotte, NC (2022)
- Named to IAM Patent 1000, Prosecution, Intellectual Asset Management Magazine, 2017 – Present
- Recipient, The Burton Awards for Legal Achievement: 2011 Distinguished Writing Award
Professional & Community
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Intellectual Property Law Section of the North Carolina Bar Association
- Carolina Patent, Trademark and Copyright Law Association
Legal Practice Assistant
Shanelé M. Harrington
- J.D., Washington University School of Law (2000)
- B.S., Electrical Engineering, magna cum laude, University of Missouri (1997)
- North Carolina
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office