Ellen practices in the firm’s general commercial litigation and intellectual property groups. As a commercial litigator, Ellen represents institutional clients and individuals in a broad range of litigation matters, including contract disputes between businesses, disputes between franchisors and franchisees, financial services matters involving retail banks, credit card companies, and mortgage originators or servicers, disputes relating to distributorship, manufacturing, license, and warranty agreements, and operating agreement and shareholder disputes.
In addition to her commercial litigation experience, Ellen regularly represents clients in intellectual property litigation, including patent, trademark, copyright, and trade secret matters. Ellen’s patent experience involves a wide variety of technologies, such as devices for remotely communicating with and controlling electronic apparatuses, programmable light timers, work gear and tools, medical devices, and sporting goods and equipment. Ellen’s trademark and copyright practice focuses primarily on the food and beverage, retail clothing, and music industries. Ellen’s intellectual property practice also extends to patent, trademark, and copyright prosecution, maintaining intellectual property portfolios, policing intellectual property rights, and assisting in franchise due diligence.
Ellen is licensed to practice law in Alabama, Florida, and North Carolina. She has represented clients in federal district courts in Alabama, California, Florida, New York, North Carolina, and Texas. Ellen also represents clients in USPTO and US Copyright Office matters.
Honors & Recognitions
- Mid-South Super Lawyers "Rising Star," Business Litigation (2016-2021)
- Alabama Super Lawyers "Rising Star," Business Litigation (2009-2015)
- Business Alabama, Alabama's Outstanding Young Lawyers (May 2011)
- Award of Excellence for Best Issue Editor, TYL Editorial Board (2010)
- Listed In The Best Lawyers in America®️ Commercial Litigation (2023)
Professional & Community
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Alabama Defense Lawyers Association
- Birmingham Venture Club
- American Bar Association Intellectual Property Law Division
- Birmingham Bar Association Young Lawyers Division
Legal Practice Assistant
- J.D., magna cum laude, University of Alabama School of Law (2007)
- B.A., Psychology, Management and Society, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (2003)
- North Carolina
- U.S. District Court - Western District of North Carolina