John Carroll practices law at the intersection of real estate development and regulatory policy. He focuses his practice on counseling the developers of some of South Carolina’s most prestigious resort communities throughout Hilton Head Island and the surrounding area, and also assists clients navigate hospitality, food and beverage regulations throughout the state.
John assists resort developers and property owner associations with complex real estate projects from start to finish, including projects related to the negotiation and drafting of contracts, commercial leases, covenants and restrictions, property owner association by-laws, resort club membership documents, and with research and advocacy related to land use and zoning issues. John also provides alcohol beverage licensing advice to members of the hospitality industry as well as craft beer and spirits industry throughout the state.
John has provided counsel to Ambassador Nikki Haley, while serving on Haley’s gubernatorial executive staff as Director of Boards and Commissions. John has also served as staff attorney with the South Carolina Association of Realtors, and has served as assistant disciplinary counsel for the South Carolina Department of Labor, Licensing, and Regulation, where he prosecuted more than 50 full bench trials as lead counsel involving professional licensing violations in a variety of regulated industries, including construction. John began his legal career in law school while serving South Carolina’s current Governor Henry McMaster during McMaster’s tenure as the state’s Attorney General.
In 2019, John was appointed by the Mayor of Hilton Head Island to serve on the Town’s Planning Commission Development Team Subcommittee, responsible for providing recommendations to shape the content of the Town’s 2020- 2030 Comprehensive Plan.
Honors & Recognitions
- Rising Star, Real Estate Law, South Carolina Super Lawyers (2018, 2020-2021)
- Recipient, Kentucky Colonel, Awarded by former Governor of the Commonwealth of Kentucky, Steven Lynn Beshear
- Recipient, President’s Award, South Carolina Bar Young Lawyer’s Division
- Recipient, Star of the Quarter Award, South Carolina Bar Young Lawyer’s Division
- Listed in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, Real Estate Law (2023)
- Speaking EngagementPalmera Inn and Suites, 12 Park Lane, Hilton Head, SC
- Articles / Publications
- Articles / Publications
Professional & Community
- Pro Bono Participant, American Bar Association’s “Home Safe Home” initiative, St. John’s High School (2018)
- Pro Bono Participant, 14th Circuit First Responder Pro Bono Wills Clinic, South Carolina Bar (2017)
- Board of Regents, Hilton Head Island – Bluffton Chamber of Commerce Leadership Program (2022)
- Graduate, Hilton Head Island – Bluffton Chamber of Commerce Leadership Class (2017)
- Member, Hilton Head Island – Bluffton Chamber of Commerce Government Affairs Committee
- Member, Hilton Head Bar Association (HHBA)
- Member, South Carolina Bar Association
- Past Elected 14th Circuit Representative, South Carolina Bar Young Lawyer Division
- Past Co-Chair, South Carolina Bar Young Lawyer Division Membership Events Committee
- Past Member, Hilton Head Island Greater Island Council
- Past Member, American Bar Association’s 2018 Young Lawyer Division Convention Host Committee
Legal Practice Assistant
- J.D., University of South Carolina School of Law (2011)
- B.A., cum laude, University of South Carolina (2008)
- South Carolina
- U.S. District Court - South Carolina