Richard serves as Counsel in the firm's Health Care Section with a focus in representing a variety of health care providers, from the largest health care systems to individual providers.
Richard regularly advises health care providers on the entire array of related legal issues confronting them. Richard plays an active role in drafting and responding to health legislation that affects health care and senior housing providers. Among some of the legislation he has authored or helped author are the Regional Care Organization Act, the Integrated Care Network Act, amendments to The Alabama Natural Death Act, amendments to The Certificate of Need Act, amendments to The Health Care Authority Act, amendments to the Durable Power of Attorney Act, amendments to the Adult Protection Services Act, amendments to various portions of the Health Care Facilities Licensing Act, amendments to the Medicaid Funding Initiatives and amendments to the Medical Liability Act.
Richard also represents both regional and national lenders and mortgage servicers that lend to the nursing home and senior housing industry. This representation involves mortgage loans in over forty states. Before coming to the practice of law, Richard owned and operated an acute care hospital and a number of nursing homes. He continues to be part of an ownership group with facilities in two states is still active in the senior housing industry. He is the former President on the Executive Board of the Alabama Nursing Home Association where he served four terms in 1981-82, and 2010, 2013 and 2015. Most recently he was part of a group that formed SeniorSelect Partners, and its subsidiaries, Simpra Advantage and Alabama Select Network. Simpra is licensed as an Alabama based Medicare Advantage Special Needs Plan and went operational January 1, 2018. Alabama Select Network is in the process of bidding to be a Medicaid integrated care network providing care management for Medicaid beneficiaries eligible for long term care. Richard is on the board and serves as chair of these entities.
He has been a member of the Board of Directors of the American Health Care Association and formerly was on the Executive Committee of the Advisory Board of the Jefferson County Health System. From 1978 to 1984, Richard served on Alabama’s Statewide Health Coordinating Council, and for many years served on the Advisory Board of the National Investment Center for Senior Housing.
Richard is also active in the community, serving on the Boards and Committees of a number of local charities. From 1984 to 1986, he served as a member of the Editorial Staff of The American Journal of Trial Advocacy.
Honors & Recognitions
- Named, Chambers USA, Health Care (2005-2023)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America®, Health Care Law since 2003, Corporate Law (2022-2023), Mergers and Acquisition Law (2023)
- Mid-South Super Lawyers, Health Care (2008-2021)
- Birmingham Business Journal's "Best of the Bar"
- American Health Care Association, Legal Committee & Reimbursement Committee (2 Year Term)
- Alabama State Advisory Council, Palliative Care and Quality of Life
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent© Peer Review Rating
- Speaking Engagement
- Speaking EngagementOmni Dallas Hotel; Dallas, TX
- The Grand Hotel; Point Clear, AL
- Sheraton Grand Chicago; Chicago, IL
- Sheraton Grand Hotel; Chicago, IL
- Omni-Grove Park Inn; Ashville, NC
- Washington, D.C.
- New Orleans Sheraton; New Orleans, LA
- Embassy Suites Hotel Baltimore; Baltimore, MD
- Wynfrey Hotel; Birmingham, AL
- Waldorf Astoria Hotel; Park City, UT
- Perdido Resort; Orange Beach, AL
- Baltimore Marriott Waterfront Hotel; Baltimore, MD
- Grand Hyatt DFW; Dallas, TX
- Hilton San Diego Bayfront; San Diego, CA
- Stowe, VT
- Montgomery, AL
Professional & Community
- American Bar Association
- Alabama State Bar
- Birmingham Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Healthcare Financial Management Association
Legal Practice Assistant
- J.D., Cumberland School of Law at Samford University (1986)
- L.L.M., Taxation, New York University School of Law (1987)
- B.A., Huntington College (1983)
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court - Middle District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court - Northern District of Alabama