Robert was the co-valedictorian and recipient of the Toolen Award and Ralph McClain Essay Award at Spring Hill College. Robert then went on to receive his Juris Doctor from the University of Alabama School of Law, where he was awarded the Harold A. Bowron, Jr. Award, the Highest Achievement in Labor and Employment Law Award, and the Highest Achievement in Advanced Will Drafting Award.
Robert represents financial institutions, privately owned companies, Estates and Trusts as well as municipalities in a complete range of transactions and business related litigation. For financial institutions, Robert prepares documentation for credit facilities, acts as closing and title agent in commercial real estate matters, and provides advice on restructuring, special assets, and bankruptcy. In addition, Robert regularly defends financial institutions in trial courts throughout south Alabama. Robert has a significant estate and trust practice, and he advises personal representatives and corporate trustees with respect to procedural and fiduciary matters.
Robert’s corporate practice includes the formation of legal entities and the preparation of agreements for partners in a variety of business ventures. A substantial portion of Robert’s practice involves the sale of operating business enterprises, which often include numerous entities, an assortment of tangible and intangible assets, long-term contracts, real estate, finance, and employment matters. Robert has the ability to add a lot of value for clients in transactions involving the sale of operating businesses due to the depth of his knowledge across the business field and extensive experience in negotiating and closing corporate transactions.
Robert’s real estate practice includes negotiating and drafting purchase agreements, deeds, long term commercial leases, as well as providing closing and title insurance services. Robert serves as general counsel for several real estate developers and municipalities advising on land use, zoning, and subdivision matters. Robert has served as lead counsel in the development of large residential subdivisions, strip centers, office parks, restaurants, and shopping centers anchored by some of America’s mega retailers. Robert also acts as general counsel for homeowners’ associations and condo owners’ associations in Mobile, Gulf Shores, and Orange Beach.
In addition to his professional affiliations, Robert serves on the board of directors for the United Way of Southwest Alabama, the Downtown Mobile Alliance, and the advisory board for the South Alabama Center for Business Analytics, Real Estate, and Economic Development.
- Represented borrower in $1,000,000,000 plus credit facility secured by land throughout the U.S.
- Represented borrower in $900,000,000 plus credit facility secured by collateral in multiple countries.
- Represented borrower in $20,000,000 credit facility from Export-Import Bank.
- Represented lenders in multi-million dollar commercial construction loans throughout Alabama.
- Represented lenders in multi-million dollar residential subdivision development loans in Baldwin County, Alabama.
- Represented regional retailer in multiple long-term commercial leases and build out agreements throughout the Southeast.
- Represented developer in residential water-front development in Orange Beach, Alabama.
- Represented developer in multi-phase subdivision development in Mobile County, Alabama.
- Represented borrower in $18,000,000 working capital credit facility.
- Represented borrower in $5,000,000 credit facility secured by bonded accounts receivable and inventory.
- Represented accounting firm in negotiation of partnership agreement.
- Represented residential housing management firm (400 units) in preparation of Alabama documentation for use in the ordinary course of agency and leasing.
- Represented realty firm in dispute regarding listing and purchase agreement.
- Represented trustee in distribution of trust corpus consisting of real property.
- Represented financial institution in loan to borrower for acquisition and redevelopment of multi-tenant shopping center.
- Represented publicly traded financial institution in defense of wrongful foreclosure and quiet title; defense verdict upheld by Alabama Supreme Court.
- Represented publicly traded financial institution in defense of excess foreclosure claim; defense verdict in arbitration.
- Represented corporate trustee in defense of claims asserted by Medicaid.
- Represented partnership in negotiation and documentation of redemption of partnership interest and post-redemption employment agreement.
- Represented publicly traded financial institution in defense of conversion claims; pre-trial dismissal.
- Represented publicly traded financial institution in defense of claims involving breach of deposit agreement; pre-trial dismissal.
- Representation of seller in the simultaneous closing of 4 separate apartment complexes.
- Representation of corporate trustee in non-judicial settlement and trust modification matters.
- Representation of buyer in purchase of apartment complex.
Honors & Recognitions
- Alabama Super Lawyers "Rising Star", Business/Corporate
- Mid-South Super Lawyers "Rising Star," Banking
- Mobile Bay Magazine's "40 Under 40"
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent© Peer Review Rating
- Listed in The Best Lawyers of America®, Real Estate Law (2024)
- Firm News
- Firm News
- Firm News
- Firm News
- The Grand Hotel; Point Clear, AL
Professional & Community
- American Cancer Society's, "Real Men Wear Pink of South Alabama"
- United Way of Southwest Alabama, Inc., Board of Trustees
- Downtown Mobile Alliance, Board of Directors
- Alabama Bar Association
- Mobile Bar Association
- Baldwin County Bar Association
- Alabama Bankers Association, Associate Member
- Leadership Mobile, Graduate
- Probate Section of the Mobile Bar Association, Past Chairman
- Agriculture Funding & Lending
- Financial Institutions
- Avoidance Actions
- Bankruptcy Litigation
- Restaurant Services
- Business Formation
- Commercial & Corporate Finance
- Commercial Litigation
- Commercial Contracts
- Commercial Real Estate Finance
- Corporate Governance & Shareholder Disputes
- Corporate Law
- Creditors' Rights and Bankruptcy
- Director & Officer Liability
- Financial Institution Disputes
- Financial Institution Regulatory
- Land Use & Zoning
- Lender Liability
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Workouts, Restructurings, & Enforcement
- Real Estate
- Trusts & Estates Planning
- Trusts, Estates, & Fiduciary Litigation
- UCC Litigation
- Financial Services
- Food & Beverage
- J.D., University of Alabama School of Law
- B.S., Spring Hill College
- summa cum laude