Tom works to defend against employee lawsuits, advise employers during union avoidance campaigns, negotiate collective bargaining agreements, and design policies for local, regional, national, and international employers of all sizes.
Tom understands how to effectively and persuasively communicate an employer’s message in the midst of a union organizational campaign. He also manages litigation in a way that achieves results, balanced with the business goals and economic interests of the company.
With a long family history in labor relations – his father a steward in the National Postal Mail Handler’s Union and his grandfather a member of the United Mine Workers of America – Tom has a keen understanding of union activity. His ancestors were also involved in the Battle of Matewan – a violent coal miners' strike that occurred in 1920 in Mingo County, West Virginia, which eventually required the Governor to order the state police to retake control of the town of Matewan.
With two decades of experience focused in the health care, industrial manufacturing, and food processing industries, he is well-positioned to help businesses interpret and comply with workplace laws and regulations.
- Worked on the largest and most public union organizing election of 2017, assisting with the execution of a campaign that saw the employer win the election by a nearly 2-1 vote margin.
- Represented a nursing home during its 2016 election victory over an effort by a steelworkers’ union to organize the facility.
- Counseled a large seafood processing plant through its 2012 successful decertification of a United Food and Commercial Workers bargaining unit.
Honors & Recognitions
- Named, Best Lawyers in America® (2021-2023)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent® Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence
- Named, Mid-South Super Lawyers® (2016-2020)
- Member of the Year, Tuscaloosa Human Resource Professionals (2009)
- Articles Editor, The Alabama Law Review
Professional & Community
- The EDGE Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation, Advisory Board
- Leadership Tuscaloosa, Class of 2008 (Steering Committee, 2011-2012)
- Black Warrior Council of the Boy Scouts of America, General Counsel (2011-2012)
- Adopt-A-School Foundation, Steering Committee (2001-2011)
- Exchange Club of Tuscaloosa, Board of Directors (2005-2008)
- Alabama State Bar, Section on Labor and Employment Law
- Tuscaloosa County Bar Association
- Tuscaloosa Human Resource Professionals (2000-2018)
- Legal Counsel (2018)
- West Alabama Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors (2010-2016)
- Legislative Director (2000-2012)
Legal Practice Assistant
J.D., University of Alabama School of Law, 1999
B.A., Louisiana State University, 1996
- Supreme Court of Alabama
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Alabama
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Alabama
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Alabama